Lodge Greenock St. John's No. 175

About

Lodge Greenock St Johns No 175.jpg (thumbnail)Lodge Greenock St. John’s numbered 175 on the roll of The Grand Lodge of Antient Free and Accepted Masons of Scotland was founded on 1st February 1790 and has operated continuously since that date and has now contributed to our community for over 229 years.

The Lodge building  which is constructed of red sandstone from the long since defunct Skelmorlie quarry, is one of the few buildings of character which remain in Greenock town centre. It is a testimony to the designers, Messrs. Boston, Menzies and Morton, who were the foremost Architects in Greenock in the late 19th Century.

On 6th November 1896 the tenders for the building works were accepted and the work of erecting the Masonic Temple commenced shortly thereafter.  The Foundation Stone was laid on Saturday 6th February 1897 and was a colourful and eventful occasion, with members  of the Lodge, together with other Lodges from various parts of Scotland, parading from Cathcart Street to West Stewart Street. The Foundation Stone was laid by the then Right Worshipful Master (Chairman) of the Lodge Brother James Reid of the well known local manufacturing company Fleming Reid & Co, Worsted Mills, Drumfrochar Road, Greenock. This event is marked by the marble tablet which is fixed to the  external wall at the north east corner of the building at the junction of Argyle and West Stewart Streets.

On Saturday 23rd July 1898, some seventeen months after the laying of the foundation stone the consecration of the Temple took place. The ceremony of consecration was conducted by the Provincial Grand Master, Brother Michael Hugh Shaw Stewart of Carnock, member of Parliament for East Renfrewshire.

Our regular meetings are held at:

Masonic Temple
21 West Stewart Street
Greenock
PA15 1SN

 

countercountercountercountercountercounter